Thursday

Green at The Grammys 2010?

By Janine Johnson

[Founder of GreenWave]

People, businesses, and events that have great influence are responsible for messaging that permeates our society's standards and perpetuates them. I think it is critical for the success of our future for us to collectively do our best now and I would of course, extend this to The Grammys.

In 2008 there is a copyright on GreenGrammys.org showing written material supporting the ideas which would lead to a green event.  In 2009, there was an eco-gifting suite put on by "Green with Music".  In 2010? ...

Honestly, I'm not sure what happened or not.  Admittedly I am not your typical reporter or investigative journalist.  I write for green blogs purely from the heart.  I observe what is going on around me. This year I was lucky enough to be the date of my dear and loving boyfriend, Ken Jordan who was nominated for a Grammy for Divided By Night, the latest studio album produced by his band, The Crystal Method.

We attended a few pre-Grammy gifting suites, The Grammy's, The Grammy's after-party, and a William-Morris Endeavor after party, none of which were overly "green" credit worthy. I know what we did on our end.  We went to a local green designer, 7 Lightning Bolt to create a custom jacket, and asked the help of our eco-conscious stylist friend Phu Styles to assist with the rest of his outfit.  We brought our reusable organic cotton"FEED" bag, which I carried as a second purse and drove our hybrid to the event. I feel, however, that everyone needs to do their part, the best they possibly can.

Although there is debate on possibly hyped up global warming statistics, I see changes in climate and I read reports from scientists globally indicating what seems to be human-induced change.  It may not happen as fast as we are told, but with the exponentially exploding population and unchanging lackadasical and neglectful environmental habits, I don't see our scientific predictions of rapidly decreasing natural resources, which sustain our current way of living, being too far off.

I was hoping when going to The Grammys I would see a much bigger effort.  I am happy for what they provided but I just felt like the organization did not meet their potential.  They definitely did their part in doing "some part" but I felt like it could have been much more. 

Waste Management was a sponsor to the event and I did notice they had recycling receptacles around the venue but as I know from throwing private events, I can only hope all recyclables made it into the recycling as I am not sure if trash would be sorted as I do personally at my parties. I would have liked to see Waste Management employees or volunteers standing by each receptacle providing the public with education on waste management and assuring each type of waste went into it's proper place including perhaps potential compost since Los Angeles accepts food scraps in the green bins. 

Or, why not have public service announcements about recycling or even putting a "free ad" in on the hundred plus page program? 

The cover was done by Shepard Fairey who supports humanitarian and environmental causes but ... I'm not clear if it was printed on FSC certified paper or by a green printer (although I would guess it might be considering the NRDC is supposed to be their green adviser). Regardless, it would be nice to know so that it sends a positive message to people that they are doing their part to better the world. 

Sometimes people need to see others make strides and broadcast those efforts in order to spread the idea to others to do the same.

Speaking of messages ...the performances of The Grammys were of course, amazing.  There was a Michael Jackson tribute that showcased a short environmental film that has survived Michael but I am not sure if the message set in as well as it could have when people were stuffing their faces right beforehand with the fast food vendors outside the venue.

It seems to me that as a collective culture, we suffer large disconnects. It's easy to say "you should care" and make people feel bad that they don't, but we must be provided a solution, a way to make a difference or our efforts are ineffective. 

Fast food vendors promote not only cheap, and unhealthy food but environmentally unhealthy disposable lifestyle and life disgracing factory farm practices.  I realize there are conflicts of interest in sending certain messages ... how do you tell people to not do something if it funds the station that broadcasts the show? However, we need to bring such topics up because we desperately need to find alternatives to the systems which perpetuate the deterioration of our world.

I continue to believe that every effort helps and so I am thankful to any and all for their efforts in bringing environmental awareness to this event.  Hopefully we will go back next year to witness as much passion involved in positive environmental messaging as we see in the production of their hallmark shows.



Picture Tags:

TV Guide Picture, Ken Jordan and Scott Kirkland of The Crystal Method.  Ken in a recycled plastic bottle shirt and eco-friendly jacket made by local design group 7 Lightning Bolt.


WM was a sponsor for both The Grammy's as well as The Grammy's after party


The Green Blog Network

Recycle, Reuse, Rejoice!

Posted via email from The Green Blog Network


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment